Welcome to Mountain Vista K-8 School! It is my privilege to serve the Oracle Elementary School District community both as superintendent and principal of Mountain Vista K-8 School. It is my belief that providing our children with a quality education is the greatest investment we can make in both our community and in our collective future.
As we look forward to the new school year, I want to highlight some of the accomplishments made by our students and staff during the 2018-2019 school year:
- Our students demonstrated growth as measured by the AZ Merit assessment on all grades tested in the areas of reading and writing.
- The science fair projects completed by three Mountain Vista students received awards at the Southern Arizona Regional Science Fair as well as the Arizona State Science Fair.
- Our students traveled across the state to experience learning outside of the classroom along the Arizona Trail, at the University of Arizona, in the Biosphere II, Legoland Discovery Center in Phoenix, and other exciting field trip locations.
- Our teachers researched Big Ideas Math Curriculum and voted to officially transition to this new, research-based curriculum during the upcoming school year.
- Student clubs provided a safe and engaging opportunity for students after-school each day.
- Our student athletes represented our school with pride both in the classrooms as well as on the field, court, track, and mat.
- Mrs. Alli Hendrix was named the SaddleBrooke Rotary Teacher of the Year.
- Mr. Fred Terry was named the Mountain Vista K-8 School Volunteer of the Year.
- Mr. Dennis Blauser, our superintendent and leader retired in April 2019 and looks forward to new adventures teaching math at Canyon Del Oro High School.
We are excited to welcome the following teachers to the Mountain Vista family:
- Mr. Jose Cardona, Art Teacher
- Mr. Phil Coleman, Music Teacher
- Mrs. Tara Garcia, 6th Grade Teacher
- Mr. Mark Parrish, 7th Grade Reading and Writing Teacher
- Mrs. Debbie Vargas, 6th Grade Teacher
In addition to welcoming new teachers to our school, we are looking forward to the following new programs and events during the 2019-2020 school year:
- Offering Music Education and Art Education to all Mountain Vista K-8 students
- Students in Grades 5-8 will each receive a Chromebook to use during the school year to engage in digital curriculum and take their learning to the next level
- Implementing Big Ideas Math Curriculum in Grades K-8
- Implementing MyPerspectives Digital Language Arts Curriculum in Grades 5-8
- Starting our fourth school year as a PBIS School
- Adding two new school buses to our fleet, with great appreciation to the Pinal County School Superintendent's Office
- Defending our Championship Volleyball Title in the Central Arizona Junior High League
- Continuing to volunteer at the Oracle Community Garden
- Offering "Second Chance Breakfast" once the school day begins for students who did not make it to the school cafeteria during breakfast time or did not eat breakfast before leaving for school but still need a meal to feel their best
- Sending our 8th Grade class to Catalina Island Marine Institute in March 2020 as the first group of students from our school to work with marine biologists while making lasting memories
- Sending our National Junior Honor Society students on their biannual Eastern Sea Board Tour in May 2020
These highlights are a testament to our great teachers and caring staff members that serve as proof that small schools like Mountain Vista can and do make a tremendous impact in the lives of students and in the community. Communication with families, the community, our staff, and students is of great importance to me. I can be reached via e-mail at email@example.com and in Oracle Elementary School District Office at 520-896-3074.
PS- Follow Mountain Vista K-8 School on Facebook for updates, shout-outs, highlights and information throughout the school year!